Saturday, June 10, 2006

Campaign season is underway

The door-to-door phase of my campaign is now in full swing. I have the blisters to prove it! So far I've visited over 500 houses in my district, introducing myself and distributing flyers. I haven't ever really gone door to door (well, once when I was a cub scout to sell popcorn) so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I must say that so far, it has been a very positive experience.

People have been very nice, and the vast majority are actually taking the time to read my flyer. I know firsthand how busy a person can get with work, family, errands, cooking dinner, sports practice, etc., so I was worried that I might encounter a few less-than-happy campers on my campaign trail. Not so. A few did appear slightly distraught when they saw me approach with a brief case and a handful of flyers, and mutter something along the lines of, "OK, whatcha sellin?". But as soon as I explained why I was there, their countenance changed considerably.

Among the things I've seen so far that have been noteworthy: An elderly couple who was flabergasted that any candidate still walked door-to-door, a sign on someone's door saying, "Don't knock, don't ring the bell, or we'll call the police. You have been warned", and a man who told me he had just switched to the Libertarian Party (my party of course). I'm sure I'll have many more stories by the end of the campaign.

There are over 10,000 houses in district 24. I have hit 500 this week. It will be difficult (and expensive) to cover all 10,000 houses, but I'm going to try. If I don't run out of time or money, I believe I've got a fair-to-midlin' chance of it. The heat was almost unberable yesterday, but I strapped on my Camelback (a backpack that has a huge water bladder and a drinking tube in it) and forged on.

If you live in district 24, I hope to see you soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home