Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Statement of Support For Stonewall Libertarians

A group known as the Stonewall Libertarians has asked me if I support the statement listed below. This statement was drafted by them; however I do agree with it in its entirety. It is a confirmation of my support for equal rights for all, regardless of (among other things) sexual orientation. I have promised to myself and the voters that they may not agree with me all the time, but they will know where I stand. This is an example of that stance.

**********

"I believe in full equality for gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and transgendered individuals regardless of their sexual orientations or perceived gender identity or presentation. I would call for the immediate repeal of federal and state Defense
of Marriage Acts. I would do away with the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, thus allowing our gay and lesbian service men and women to serve their country openly and proudly. I oppose the proposed Federal Marriage Amendment and all state constitutional amendments seeking to define marriage as a bond between one man and one woman. I would do away with all special benefits and privileges granted to individuals on the basis of their marital status. I would like all state governments and localities to get out of the business of granting marriage licenses and allow people to enter into contractual relationships to order their lives as they see fit, but so long as the government continues to grant marriage licenses to heterosexual couples, I believe gay couples are entitled to the "equal protection" of the laws and should be allowed to obtain government issued marriage licenses as well.
I do not believe the government should require religious institutions to perform marriage ceremonies that go against their church doctrine. I oppose all laws that discriminate against gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgendered Americans
and feel they deserve full equality under the law."

1 Comments:

Blogger steelbender said...

I belive nobody deserves special intrest rights under any circumstance. Your sexual orientation race creed or religion I don't care as long as your fist don't reach my chin do wat you want.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home