Thursday, August 17, 2006

Door-to-Door campaign ramps up

The 66th annual Black Hills Motor Classic (a.k.a Sturgis Bike Week) is now officially over. Once again, I've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt, worn it out and used it as a shop rag. The rally was great, though I did notice attendance was drastically down. The most likely reason for this is of course our steep gas prices. In and around Sturgis we were paying $3.15 - $3.30 per gallon, which is only really tolerable to my budget because of the fact that my bike gets 40-45 mpg. And yes, we rode all the way up and all the way back. In my opinion, that's the only way to go!

Now it's time to kick the door-to-door campaign into high gear. With the days getting shorter, and advance ballot voting available in October, there really isn't much time left to get facetime with the voters of the 24th district. So far we have visited about 3,500 houses out of a total of 10,000 in the district. We have not thus far knocked on every door, because we wanted to cover the entire district and leave flyers and didn't figure we had time. This was my strategy because my $0.03 flyers that I made in MS-word were the only form of advertising I had, next to letters to the editor that I've had published. Well that has recently changed!

My campaign war chest now has enough money (over $1,100 in donations) to allow me to purchase 250 yard signs, 500 business cards, and have enough left over for a voice-broadcast campaign or some radio and newspaper spots. This is really exciting for me because it moves my campaign more into the "serious" category where it belongs. Also, it is rare for any 3rd party candidate to raise this much money for a state rep race. The signs and cards will be in by the end of August. I have a deal in the works with a telemarketing firm to handle my voice broadcast campaign and, if I decide to go forward with it, will begin that in mid to late September.

I have already spent a great deal of time and money on my campaign. I have filled out every single survey that has been sent to me, I have attended caucuses and meetings, published numerous op-ed pieces, all in addition to going door-to-door. I'm doing this because I think the voters of the 24th deserve to know where a candidate stands. Some candidates don't like to fill out surveys because it risks exposing some of their less popular opinions. I have chosen to accept this risk in order to mount a "what you see is what you get" campaign. Nobody agrees with any candidate 100% of the time. I may not even agree 100% with what I said yesterday sometimes LOL. But the point is, there will be no doubt what a vote for Jason Peck means when we visit the polls this November. Economic and Social Freedom, tolerance, and a government guarantee of an opportunity rather than a result are what my campaign is all about. Now let's see how many other candidates are willing to be this forward in the coming 80+ days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home