Thursday, November 09, 2006

And the winner is....

As I'm sure you're all aware, the results of this election are now in. My personal goal was to carry 5% of my district. Believe it or not, that's a fairly lofty goal for any 3rd party candidate in a 3 way race. When it was all said and done, I fell just short of that goal, receiving 4.76%. Throughout this campaign, and all future campaigns, we should bear in mind that at this stage of the game, our primary goal is to grow the LP and promote it as a viable, legitimate alternative to the monopolistic "Demopublican" system we are under. I know I can honestly say in my race, the Jeffersonian ideal of smaller government was ONLY represented by myself and the Libertarian Party. With that in mind, let's review what was accomplished in the last 6 months:

Thanks to your support, my campaign was able to: 1) visit nearly 4,000 houses, distributing campaign literature to each of them about myself and the Libertarian Party, 2) Identify more than a few new potential party members and activists, 3) Get numerous stories in the news media about the LP and our ideals (I lost track of how many articles and mentions!) 4) Become acquainted (and on good terms) with our Republican State Representative, 5) Raise nearly $2,000.00 for my campaign! 6) Placed nearly 100 yard signs, and last but not least 7) land a lawsuit in federal court against several individuals in government who lack even the most fundamental comprehension and/or respect of our state and federal constitutions.

I've learned a great deal in my first campaign. I fully intend to come back stronger, smarter, better financed, and with even more support in 2008. As a party, our goal is to achieve "major party" status in Kansas by 2010. In order to do this, we will need to pull at least 5% in a statewide race. We are well on the way to realizing that goal. In the meantime, I would like to offer my sincerest congratulations to Mr. Ed O'Malley for his victory in our race. Despite our differences, he is an honorable man and will serve us well for the next 2 years in Topeka. I'm certain that he has no doubt, however, that we will meet again soon in a debate forum near you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home