Sunday, June 11, 2006

Hail storm moves through Overland Park

I know this is a political blog, but I'm taking the day off from politics (at least here). There isn't much of any real substance going on today in the news anyway.

Last night a hail storm moved through our area. We had some golf ball sized pieces of ice in our yard, and the kids really got a kick out of it. I'm glad they had fun, because I was busy trying to think of some way to save my garden!

I've spent more time and effort on my garden this year than any other year. I have (had) two rows of beans that would probably qualify for a magazine picture, a row of corn that grows so fast you can almost watch it, and some good looking okra specimens as well. They've survived previous strong storms (I had to go out and give them a morale bost afterword by straightening them up), but this one really pushed the envelope.

The good news is the corn and okra was not affected. My 60 or so bean plants are a different story. Their large leaves and long stems made them easy targets. Some appear untouched, but at least half are looking quite sickly. Only time will tell whether they make it or not, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Maybe I should petition the city for an increase in sales tax to install a rolling roof in my back yard?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home