Friday, June 16, 2006

"The Decider" signs new penalties for smut into law

President Bush (who gave himself the nick-name "The Decider") signed a new bill into law today. That shouldn't shock anyone, since he has yet to veto a single bill in 6 years. This one, however, deals with "smut" on our airwaves, increasing the fines for "smut".

Parents are justifiably concerned with what their kids are exposed to. As a parent myself, I monitor my kids activities when I can. Unfortunately, it's not always possible to be with them, because we all have careers and social lives. As a social liberal, I'm probably a little looser with my kids than a typical socially-conservative family, however that is a choice I make for my own kids. There have been times when there were programs I didn't want them to have access to on satellite (when I had that service) and cable. Both my control box and my TVs have password restricted settings, however, and I took the time to learn how to use them. They work quite well.

Evidentally The Decider is not real interested in learning how to use a V Chip or a control box. What he is obviously interested in, however, is placating his religious rightwing base, and once again, he's remained loyal to that group. I guess we should expect nothing less at this point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home